Wednesday 16 November 2016

Ottawa Rabbi Suspects Trumpism For Swastika Spray Painted On Front Door


Story out of Ottawa, Ontario:

An Ottawa woman who runs a Jewish prayer centre says she was "stunned" to wake up in the middle of the night and discover someone had spray-painted a swastika and an anti-Semitic slur on the front door of her Glebe home.

"I went to bed a little later than usual and woke up in the middle of the night, around 2:30, and as I was walking back to my room coming down the hall I saw a reflection on my front door, which is a glass window door, that kind of startled me," said Maranta, who describes herself as a rabbi.

"I knew right away it was a swastika." The word "k--e" was spray-painted above it.

Maranta believes the election of president-elect Donald Trump could be related to the racist graffiti on her door.

"My first thought is that this is an example of what happens when you allow somebody who is in a position of power to speak openly racist, bigoted, misogynistic language and don't censor [it] in any way," Maranta said.

"It allows other people to express their feelings, to express their hatred, and to feel like they've been given permission to do so because no one has effectively silenced that."

Ottawa police are investigating. Cont.

Story from - CBC News

No comments:

Post a Comment